Calm Harm app - helps you manage the urge to self harm
Calm Harm provides tasks that help you resist or manage the urge to self harm. You can add your own tasks too and it’s completely private and password protected.
What does it do?
- The four categories of tasks target the main reasons for why people self harm:
- Distract helps to combat the urge by learning self-control;
- Comfort helps to care rather than harm;
- Express helps get feelings out in a different way;
- Release provides safe alternatives to self-injury.
How does it work?
- The app is developed for stem4 by Dr Krause, Consultant Clinical Psychologist, using ideas from an evidence-based therapy called DBT. The focus is to help learn to identify and manage your ‘emotional’ mind with positive impact. The app enables you to track your progress. Please note that the app is an aid in treatment but does not replace it.
- The stem4 Calm Harm app is available as a free download:
Find out more
Watch our Calm Harm video to find out more about the app.
What people are saying
- “Awesome. It’s a great way to help yourself if you can’t speak to anyone. I find the countdown especially helpful :)”
- “stem4 A brilliant little app it’s helping me battle my depression and self harm urges…stay strong everyone who is battling depression”
- “A year ago, I was diagnosed with major depression and I went into therapy. During the past year I had to deal with suicidal thoughts, panic attacks and sadness every day. I started cutting myself and it became an addiction: I couldn’t stop. I cut myself every day. But then I discovered the app of stem4: Calm Harm. This was the solution for my self-harm! Every time I felt the urge to cut myself, I opened the app and I did some activities. The urge faded! I am clean for a month now and I am very proud of that. But it’s because of the app I can stay clean, so that’s why I want to thank stem4 so much for this fantastic invention!”
- “I had a young person who was referred to the service, who said that her reduction in self-harm was due to using your app. Whenever she felt the urge to self-harm she would open the app and use the distraction techniques provided. I have had a look at your app and downloaded it to have a look myself, it would be great to tell the young people who are referred to the programme about it, and if they wish they can download it.”
- – Project Co-ordinator for Breaking Silence, a programme for young people and their families affected by self-harm
An award-winning app
- stem4 won the Digital Innovation award category for Calm Harm at the National Positive Practice in Mental Health Awards 2016.
Calm Harm resources
- We have a variety of Calm Harm promotional resources available. To order these or a Calm Harm resource pack containing a Calm Harm poster, postcard, Recovery Kit, business cards and a wristband please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a price list/order form.