An addiction has the following features:
- 1. Lack of Control – There is a psychological and physical component – it’s hard to stop.
- 2. Dependence – you rely on the substance or the activity. Its compulsive and repetitive.
- 3. Tolerance – You become more used to the effects and need to use the substance or carry out the activity to higher levels.
- 4. Withdrawal – trying to come off the substance or activity creates a psychological and/or physical syndrome which has negative effects on the person.
- See the section on How to Bounce and Not Break