Overview of stem4 - teenage mental health charity
stem4 is a teenage mental health charity aimed at improving teenage mental health by stemming commonly occurring mental health issues at an early stage.
Young people have just as much right to accessing facts about good mental health as they do good physical health, and yet there is a lack of accurate information. Embarrassment or social stigma surrounding mental health issues, can so easily lead to confusion with what may be normal development, as opposed to the early development of a mental health issue.
By sharing information on how to recognise early warning signs and by providing effective strategies in how to deal with them, we aim to stem these conditions early on.
Emphasis on the early identification of mental health conditions is backed by recent Government initiatives and is recommended by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence – (NICE) in the UK.
teenage mental health charity stem4 is special because we:
- Focus on early awareness and intervention
- Target four specific areas of mental health
- Eating Disorders
- Depression and anxiety
- Self Harm
- Target four specific audiences
- young people affected by the conditions
- their friends
- their families and carers
- schools – teachers and nurses
- Provide evidence based information
- Qualified mental health professionals educate students, parents and teachers in schools
- Bring people together to share experiences and to work towards best practice through our conference programme
Aims and Objectives
- stem4 endeavours to raise early awareness and highlight the importance of early intervention in teenage mental health issues – taking steps to help stem problems at an early stage.
- stem4 encourages debate and shared information through a programme of conferences targeting students, Head teachers, school leaders, teachers, SENCOS, parents, school nurses and GPs.
- stem4 educates through interactive conferences for schools and through our comprehensive website.
- stem4 provides self-help through our Calm Harm app, website and booklets.
- Our mission is to foster the development of good mental health in teenagers through enhancing early understanding and awareness, promoting shared early detection and signposting towards prompt action and intervention.
- Collaborative work with young people, their families, and schools will help an individual to enhance their resilience and sense of individual responsibility. We provide a commitment and hope to combat mental illness and follow through on a mentally healthy path to adulthood.